Reverse Engineered Object - Progress Blog #2

*** So, right out of the gate, I have to say that I am having a problem with the perspective view in Rhino. It will not let me move and is locked in a single location. It is also taking some of the details out of my object. I apologize for the weird angles of the screenshots, but I am unsure how to fix the problem.




The first step was to add depth to all the shell pieces I had built last time using the offset surface tool. I first measured the dimensions the sphere would need to be, 11.55 mm long, .53mm deep, 3.93mm wide at the widest and 1.20mm wide at the narrowest points. The next step was to create a sphere and then scale and morph it into various dimensions. I chose a sphere as the shape of the divets on the flashlight are rounded, with no hard edges that you would get with a cylinder. Next, I rotated it to match the pitch of the flashlight shell, polar arrayed it around, then boolean differences it to cut the shape into the body.




(I couldn't get a good angle of the model in perspective view)

The next part I did was the tiny needle hole where the wrist strap goes through. The thickness of the shell for the flashlight is 2.34mm. The next thing I wanted to do was add the oblong spheres to the side of the flashlight. The divets in the flashlight were 13.55 mm long, 1.78 mm deep, 3.18mm wide in the center and 1.62mm wide at its smallest point. Using the boolean split tool, I then used a rectangle measured 2.04mm thick and 1.78 mm deep to cut a hole in the sphere to create that crossbar. It was tough to get a measurement for the inner circle where the strap goes, so I had to eyeball it to look similar in scale to the model. Then I used the boolean difference tool to cut the sphere into the top of the flashlight and then moved the rectangle into the divet so that it was flush with the top of the flashlight piece.

One thing that I would like to learn about in class is a way to cut the diamond patterns into the rings at the top of the flashlight and make that diamond pattern that can be seen on the button.




(I still couldn't move in perspective mode)

Next, I began to create the center hole in the flashlight where the spring would come out. The hole had a diameter of 5.07 mm and a depth of 1.29mm, so I simply created a cylinder with these dimensions and boolean differenced the cap. Next, I measured the spring, which juts out at 6.11mm, so I made a polyline with this length and a spiral surrounding it. The spring is round, so I put an approximately .77mm diameter. 



(as seen from perspective view)

One part of the flashlight that I struggled with was the pattern on the bottom of the flashlight. I managed to get the general shape using rectangles, circles and the trim tool, but I was unsure how to create a surface using these curves.


Another issue that I was having was that Rhino would not allow me to BooleanDifference the spring pattern from the interior shell of the flashlight to create this interior screw shape. It would allow me to select the cutting tool and what was to be cut, but it just wouldn't do anything when it was completed.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Animated Gif

Stacked Shapes Blog #1